Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Steve Lousteau for Cancer Services


Steve Lousteau (right) with his children
Jeffrey and Jennifer.
While growing up in south Louisiana, I knew that
cancer was a disease that impacted many people. Because there was no experience of cancer in my own family, I developed a false sense of security that I would go through life not having to deal with such a dreaded illness. That all came to an abrupt halt when my wife’s sister, Lena, was diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer in December 2005. In spite of an operation and numerous treatments, our family lost Lena in March of 2007. My family was devastated.



We “picked up the pieces” and began the recovery process of overcoming the loss of someone who was so dear to so many. Then in July 2008 my family was hit with more shocking news…. my wife of 29 years, Amber, was diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer. Amber fought the good fight but passed away in May 2009. While the physical, emotional, mental and financial stress in fighting this deadly disease is excruciating, the pain that I, and my children, felt after losing someone we so dearly loved is beyond description.

Then more bad news hit my family in November 2010 when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My first thought was, I can’t believe this is happening again! Fortunately for me and my family, my situation has a happy ending. Because of early detection and a successful operation, I am pleased to report that I am cancer free and enjoying life again.

So why do I share my story with you? It is because you never know when cancer will strike you, a family member, a friend or a colleague.

The common thread that weaves through each of my own family experiences with cancer is the phenomenal support provided by Cancer Services. This is a great organization that can provide aid in the form of information, financial assistance and resource support. I’m deeply indebted to them for providing me resources to help Amber while she fought for her life.

The life of any organization is dependent on the financial strength of its organization. Cancer Services is no different. Being that Cancer Services is a non-profit organization, it relies on contributions from the generous citizens of our great community to help continue its mission of helping people afflicted with cancer. While I hope and pray that you never need Cancer Services, Cancer Services very much needs YOU! Your gift enables Cancer Services to continue to help cancer patients and their families when they need help most. Visit their website to donate online or by mail to 550 Lobdell Ave. Baton Rouge, LA 70806. Feel free to stop by to see how your gift helps those living with cancer every day.

Thanking you in advance, please make a difference by donating today!