Thursday, October 13, 2011

Q&A: Questions to Ask Your Doctor

Every Sunday, Cancer Services publishes a Cancer Q&A in the Health Section of The Advocate.

Q: I am currently waiting on a cancer diagnosis. If I do have cancer, what questions should I ask my doctor?

A: Being informed and asking questions can give you some control over your condition and may help you cope. Studies show that patients who are informed about their disease and treatment options usually tend to fare better and have fewer side effects than those who simply follow doctors' orders. However, some people feel overwhelmed by too much information or the details regarding their condition. It is best to think how much information is right for you.

You can use the following list as a starting point. You do not have to ask every question and it might help you think of other questions you would like to ask. It’s a good idea to write your questions down before meeting with your doctor so you are sure not to forget anything. Having another person with you to ask questions and to listen to the answers is also a good idea. You may also want a notebook or tape recorder to capture important notes.

Possible questions for your doctor after a cancer diagnosis:
  • What is my diagnosis?
  • Has cancer spread to my lymph nodes or anywhere else?
  • What is the stage of my cancer? What does this mean?
  • How is staging used to determine cancer treatment?
  • What is my prognosis (chance of recovery)?
  • Can you explain my pathology report (laboratory test results) to me?
  • What is the goal of treatment? What are my treatment choices? Which do you recommend for me? Why?
  • What are the expected benefits of each kind of treatment?
  • What are the risks and possible side effects of each treatment? How can side effects be managed?
  • Will infertility be a side effect of my treatment?
  • How often will I have treatments? How long will my treatment last?
  • Will I have to change my normal activities? If so, for how long?
  • What is the treatment likely to cost? Will my insurance cover the costs?
  • What new treatments are under study? Would a clinical trial be appropriate for me?
  • If I seek a second opinion, will I have to repeat any tests or procedures?
  • What support services are available to me? To my family?
  • Whom should I call with questions or concerns during non-business hours?
  • May I contact you or the nurse to talk about additional information I find?


For more information contact Courtney Britton, librarian at Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge at (225) 927-2273, or visit the Resource Center at 550 Lobdell Avenue.